[opendtv] Re: Barriers eroding to LCD TV adoption

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 7 Jul 2004 11:51:26 -0400

At 11:31 AM -0400 7/7/04, John Golitsis wrote:
>Did you even read what I wrote?  What does manufacturing technology being
>far more expensive and capital intensive have to do with it *after* the
>factorys are built and have the same production capacity as CRTs?

Obviously, the cost of the manufacturing facility must be recovered.
In addition, the cost of the materials that go into the LCD panels is
a factor as well.

An assembly line for a Honda Civic costs a lot of money. An assembly
line for an Acura TL also costs a lot of money, but the capital for
that assembly line is not much different than for the Civic. Why does
the Acura TL cost twice as much?

>You'd have a real hard time convincing me that making a 36" glass tube and
>building that into a CRT is less expensive than making an LCD display of the
>same size.  I'd be interested in any real information you might have on
>this.

Perhaps you should consult someone who is in the business. All i can
tell you is that from my knowledge of the processes, the CRT will
cost significantly less to manufacture.