[opendtv] Re: Barriers eroding to LCD TV adoption

  • From: Michael Hazarian <haz@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 7 Jul 2004 17:14:47 -0700

On Jul 7, 2004, at 10:09 AM, Manfredi, Albert E wrote:

> Craig Birkmaier wrote:
>
>> I have been saying for several years that the price delta will be at
>> least $300 for years to come.
>
> Then how come Mark writes:
>
> " - It might be worth noting that ATI's new HDTV Wonder
> card, approximating the circuitry needed to add DTT reception
> to a TV, retails for $199:
> <http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1759,1619390,00.asp>"
>
> Clearly, if the separate PC card can be sold for under $200, a
> built-in front end, without PCI backplane, should go for much
> less.

You should note that this card is only a ATSC to MPEG2 stream
converter. It requires a "high end" (9600 or better) ATI video card to
decode and display the MPEG2 stream, so add on an additional $100 to
$500 (not counting the host PC).

I think there is a good possibility that ATI is using this card as a
"loss leader" in an attempt to sell more ATI video cards. Also, being
the owner of NxtWave also helps bring down the price!

Michael Hazarian
Rx Productions