[opendtv] Re: Barriers eroding to LCD TV adoption

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 11 Aug 2004 08:16:33 -0400

At 12:28 AM -0400 8/10/04, Bob Miller wrote:
>I agree that OTA is irrelevant today. I agree they are not offering a
>competitive service. But the point is that with a decent inexpensive
>plug and play receiver that all can change.

Exactly!

it CAN change.

But will it?

IN order for there to be a meaningful change broadcasters are going
to need to offer something that is perceived as being valuable. The
USDTV offering falls far short of the mark - not a big enough savings
for the limited amount of content offered.

The answer is obvious. Make advertiser supported TV FREE...AGAIN.

IF broadcasters were to deliver 30+ channels in the clear I agree
that many homes would drop a paid multichannel service. If the
provide 50 channels PLUS premium services like Cached VOD, they would
do even better,

Receivers are not the only important issue. You need to deliver all
of these channels to a fixed antenna with adequate power levels.
Rotors or active antenna designs are not a viable solution. And there
are MANY areas where the power levels are too marginal for reliable
service.

But there is at least a glimmer of hope.