[opendtv] Re: Barriers eroding to LCD TV adoption

  • From: Bob Miller <bob@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 06 Aug 2004 20:33:50 -0400

Eory Frank-p22212 wrote:

>>From: Bob Miller <bob@xxxxxxxxxx>
>>To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
>>Date: Fri, 06 Aug 2004 19:46:51 -0400
>>
>>The mandate is irrelevant now because you will have
>>receivers that work and that people want. The driver next year will be
>>USDTV or similar ventures not the mandate.
>>

>That is ludicrous Bob, when so few people rely on OTA reception. The fact that
>newer receivers work better than older receivers is what is irrelevant. DTV
>reception quality or lack thereof was never a significant reason for the slow
>adoption of OTA DTV by consumers, and no matter how well these receivers work,
>most people STILL don't want them -- especially not if they have to pay extra
>for them.
>
>The mandate is VERY relevant, because that is the only way to reach
>mass-market 'adoption' -- if you can really call it adoption, when consumers
>are foreced to buy something that most of them will never use. But from the
>FCC's and Congress' point of view, reaching the 85% threshold and reclaiming
>the NTSC spectrum is extremely relevant, and the mandate is the surest way to
>speed us toward that goal. "Capable" of receiving DTV programming, as opposed
>to actually receiving it OTA is what is relevant.
>
>-- Frank

Totally disagree. Few people rely on OTA, correct today not tomorrow.
OTA now represents an option that many will take.

The demand for receivers will overtake the mandate, it is irrelevant.
You will see receivers being used for all size DTV and TV sets next year
without regard to the mandate.

The quickest way to achieving the 85% threshold is to rely on semantics.
We are already past the 85% by my reckoning. Congress has its finger in
the air and will decide on whether we have reached 85% by their own well
honed political methods. Again this will be driven by business plans
based on receivers that work that will change the political climate.