[opendtv] Re: Barriers eroding to LCD TV adoption

  • From: Bob Miller <bob@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 06 Aug 2004 19:54:41 -0400

John A. Limpert wrote:

>on 8/6/04 15:07, Bob Miller at bob@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:
>

>>I would argue that UHF and its mandate were a failure OTA as is ATSC so
>>far. Most UHF channels were only successful because of cable.
>>

>Would today's large network of public broadcasting stations exist if the UHF
>band had never been allocated? What about rural areas that are served by
>translators?

True if lots of people watch PBS over the air. Were these UHF PBS
stations successful because of their OTA broadcasting? Would they have
been successful without cable? I am asking, I don't know.

Personally I think most success in TV land has been because of cable for
a long time. Could you have created the PBS network purely on cable with
no UHF OTA component?

And those translators, that brings us back to COFDM and on channel
repeaters. Don't need translators.

Good point on the NTSC translators.