[opendtv] Re: Barriers eroding to LCD TV adoption

  • From: Bob Miller <bob@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 06 Aug 2004 19:46:51 -0400

Cliff Benham wrote:

>I think Bob meant that UHF OTA stations weren't as successful=20
>until they got cable carriage...

Thats what I think I meant too. I wasn't in the business then. Wasn't
paying that much attention. What I learned here was that a lot of UHF
stations would have never been built at all if it wasn't for cable must
carry. That the mandate for UHF receivers in TV sets for UHF was just as
bogus as the ATSC receiver mandate. UHF mandate was not successful and
the ATSC mandate would not have been successful in any meaningful way.

That is without receivers that work the mandate only pretends to make a
transition. The mandate is irrelevant now because you will have
receivers that work and that people want. The driver next year will be
USDTV or similar ventures not the mandate.