[opendtv] Re: Barriers eroding to LCD TV adoption

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 4 Aug 2004 14:25:06 -0400

Dale Kelly wrote:

I had written:
> > For example, how can anyone go on insisting that built-in
> > ATSC tuners must go on costing $200, when stand-alone boxes
> > last Christmas cost that much? It's really bizarre.
>
> That has never been my argument

Sorry, did not mean to imply it had ever been *your* argument.
I was being non-specific on purpose.

> though I do think, that since the integrated
> DTV receiver is the result of a mandate which does not have
> support in the
> CE and retail communities, that the product might not closely follow a
> typical successful products development cycle.

Perhaps, although I don't see that incoporating analog UHF
tuners with a similar mandate was any big deal burden to the
CE vendors or the public. Quite the contrary.

On the subject of royalties, I'm not sure what the differences
are between low-end digital cable STBs and ATSC STBs in terms of
royalty costs. All I can guess is the 8-VSB delta, which amounts
to what? Is it $16? I can never keep straight what applies to
8-VSB and what applies to MPEG-2. In any event, it should run
out before too long, no?