[opendtv] BYOPVR Guide

  • From: "Kon Wilms" <kon@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 19 Nov 2004 10:08:17 -0500

With all the hoopla in the news over Tivo bait and switching folks with
FFWD advertising, I present my solution for the faint of heart.

1. Download the ISO image from: http://www.mysettopbox.tv/knoppmyth.html
2. Assemble a PC with the following features: ethernet, TV/VGA output,
generic BT8x8 or Hauppage 250/350 capture card(s), 1Ghz CPU (if you plan
to use hardware encoding), or 2.4+Ghz P4 (if you want to encode and
watch multi-channel MPEG2/4 at the same time), 80+Gb harddisk, serial
port IR sensor
3. Plug your STB(s) into the video capture card(s)
4. Boot the PC with knoppmyth ISO in the drive.
5. Configure, and you're done.

Many euro satellite cards are supported 'out the box' via V4l2 drivers
in the 2.6 Linux kernel. The ATSC PCHDTV2000/3000 board is also
supported in Myth (requires some patching).

For MPEG4 recording my suggestion is to get a good quality bt8x8 card
that has a svideo and audio inputs, and use a fast Intel CPU >= 2.8Ghz
or equivalent Athlon.

Hardware - STB form factor systems:
http://www.casetronic.com/Products/Products_Barebone-Case-ITX.asp (The
120W C158)
For a bigger budget, the Hush systems:
http://www.logicsupply.com/default.php/cPath/49
And for a wider spread of black stb-like cases:
http://www.directron.com

More hardware here:
http://mysettopbox.tv/linhes.html
Docs here:
http://www.mysettopbox.tv/doc.html
Same concept but using Freevo:
http://www.lasolution.be/files/1/docs/MorphixCombined-BareFreevo-0.4-1.iso

The Knoppix homepage (German engineering at its finest):
http://www.knoppix.org/
MythTV Homepage:
http://www.mythtv.org/
Freevo Homepage:
http://freevo.sourceforge.net/

Choosing between Freevo and MythTV is a matter of personal choice. Both
have more features than your Tivo.

Cheers
Kon