[opendtv] BBC begins DVB-T2 test transmissions

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 27 Jun 2008 16:45:58 -0400

DVB-T2 is not the MIMO scheme, where V and H are used to create two
separate 22 Mb/s channels. Instead, it tweaks the existing DVB-T
options. It adds 256-QAM, 16K and 32K modes, and other GI options,
changes the FEC, and reduces the number of active pilots.

http://www.dvb.org/technology/fact_sheets/DVB-T2%20Fact%20Sheet.0608.pdf

http://www.dtg.org.uk/news/news.php?class=countries&subclass=0&id=3030

BBC begins DVB-T2 test transmissions

The BBC has begun DVB-T2 test transmissions from the Guildford
transmitter southwest of London, in preparation for HD on Freeview. The
transmission facilities are provided by National Grid Wireless and
Arqiva as part of their support for the DVB standardisation process and
the UK project for the launch of DVB-T2 services.

This follows the approval by the DVB Project of the DVB-T2 specification
and this will be the first time signals compliant with the DVB-T2
specification will be broadcast. DVB-T2 is the next generation digital
terrestrial transmission standard for new HDTV services on Freeview.
Currently, Freeview services use the DVB-T standard which was defined
more than 10 years ago. DVB-T2 can provide significantly more capacity
and this will be essential for HDTV services to be launched on Freeview,
currently planned for the end of 2009.

BBC Research & Innovation has been leading the work of the DVB group. In
parallel, it has been developing a modulator/demodulator ("modem")
compliant with the new specification.

Justin Mitchell, leader of the DVB-T2 modem development team at the BBC,
said: "We are delighted that our team in collaboration with our partners
has been able to deliver such a key piece of technology in such a short
timescale. This is a big step forward in enabling the introduction of
full HD terrestrial on Freeview by the end of 2009."

DTG Staff 27.06.2008