[opendtv] Re: Attracting NextGen TV Engineers

  • From: "Richard C. Ramsden" <ramsden@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 04 Apr 2010 00:11:52 -0400

For consumer gear FPGAs are the way of the near future, maybe. Good FPGA chips are expensive. The trade off is field upgrade.

For industrial gear FPGAs are old news. Anyone in the industry who should know this and doesn't should retire.

On 4/3/2010 11:38 AM, Mike Tsinberg wrote:
It is true that hardware evolution basically followed this path: transistors, IC's, huge IC's, Field Programmable Logic Arrays (FPGA). The reapirability of hardware is basically improved if manufacturer makes sure that FPGA and control code can be reloaded in the field. In that case remakcbale changes can be done without turning on soldering iron or opening the box.
Mike Tsinberg
http://www.keydigital.com