[opendtv] Re: As analog shutdown nears, antenna reality emerges

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 10 Jun 2008 11:14:07 -0400

Don Moore wrote:

> Who's telling 20% of the dis-enfranchised they can do that?
> Who's doing the actual installation work?
>
> How many television stations or even broadcast groups have
> lined up contractors or suppliers for the viewers to
> contact?
>
> If we were serious about this conversion, don't you think
> the NAB or CEA would have organized local installation
> assistance teams, guides, procedures, or something else.
> The customers without cable or dish have been ignored and
> will remember how they were treated when the picture goes
> out.

You're preaching to the choir. I'm the one who was wondering why the NAB
didn't push the CE vendors to get good, 5th gen STBs out there in 2004,
when they were theoretically available.

Fact is, Don, I'm in nor way associated with broadcasting, except as a
consumer. Far be it from me to make excuses for their amazingly
negligent behavior. My message is only to say that IN SPITE OF their
best efforts to ensure the failure of DTT, and to push people to MVPDs,
consumers CAN make this work. Consumers have to take matters in their
own hands, that's all.

The FCC, under Michael Powell, was the best ally of OTA users. Now the
FCC has to be jerked out of its "localism" fixation, if FOTA is to
survive at all.