[opendtv] Re: As analog shutdown nears, antenna reality emerges

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 13 Jun 2008 17:31:04 -0400

Craig Birkmaier wrote:

> Don is correct, but he did not provide the reason why this
> is happening.
>
> The reality is that broadcasters DO NOT want the laggards to
> put up antennas. They Do want them to subscribe to a
> multi-channel service so that they can pad the bottom line
> with retransmission consent payments.

That makes sense to me. You're saying, the REASON we aren't seeing any
informative PSAs from the OTA stations is BECAUSE they don't want to
provide information on successful DTT reception.

Honestly, the best the stations can do is direct people to
http://www.dtv.gov/?

Why doesn't Jonathan Adelstein look into that?

As an aside, my across-the-street neighbor read my article in the
community rag. He is also a stubborn OTA user, only in his case, the
antenna is a huge yagi in his attic.

Remember how I bragged about receiving 31 programs streams? He gets 42.
He even gets the lowest powered stations from Baltimore.

Anyway, the point of this is to say, neither he nor I are in the
business of doing what the stations' management, or the MVPDs, want. If
more people didn't do what these folk "want," then a higher percentage
of their revenues would come from OTA.