[opendtv] Re: As analog shutdown nears, antenna reality emerges

  • From: dan.grimes@xxxxxxxx
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 13 Jun 2008 10:33:12 -0700

Craig:

Do the locally owned, independent broadcasters want people to go over to a
multi-channel service, or just the networks and O&Os?  Does it make a
difference if the broadcaster is not affiliated with a major network versus
independently owned stations that are affiliated with a major network (ABC,
NBC, CBS, Fox, Sinclair, any others?)

I would assume the LPTV stations do not want to lose FOTA.

Dan

             Craig Birkmaier
             <craig@xxxxxxxxx>
             opendtv-bounce@fr         opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
             eelists.org                                                cc

                                                                   Subject
             06/13/2008 09:53          [opendtv] Re: As analog shutdown
             AM                        nears, antenna reality emerges

             Please respond to
             opendtv@freelists
                   .org

At 9:06 AM -0400 6/10/08, Don Moore wrote:
>Who's telling 20% of the dis-enfranchised they can do that?  Who's
>doing the actual installation work?
>
>How many television stations or even broadcast groups have lined up
>contractors or suppliers for the viewers to contact?
>
>If we were serious about this conversion, don't you think the NAB or
>CEA would have organized local installation assistance teams,
>guides, procedures, or something else.  The customers without cable
>or dish have been ignored and will remember how they were treated
>when the picture goes out.

Don is correct, but he did not provide the reason why this is happening.

The reality is that broadcasters DO NOT want the laggards to put up
antennas. They Do want them to subscribe to a multi-channel service
so that they can pad the bottom line with retransmission consent
payments.

See the story I posted this morning...

GIF image

GIF image