[opendtv] Re: Arqiva deploys new Tandberg MPEG-2 technology

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 14 Sep 2009 11:19:16 -0400

Craig Birkmaier wrote:

>> Since the 16-QAM multiplexes, last I saw, hold 4 to 5 streams,
>> this implies that the new MPEG-2 encoder improves video
>> compression by at least ~40 percent?
>>
>> That's amazing.
>
> 40% relative to WHAT?
>
> There is no information on what encoder was replaced or the number
> of streams that were in the "old" multiplex.

Ron gave a good answer from first-hand experience. As to your "relative
to what," the article stated that with the new encoder, they could add 2
streams to each 16-QAM multiplex.

So, adding two streams to a 5-stream multiplex, if you assume the same
quality level for each stream as before, would require a 40 percent
improvement in efficiency. Ron and Tom doubt this (which is fine by me,
I'm not pretending to know more than what the article stated).