[opendtv] Re: Arqiva deploys new Tandberg MPEG-2 technology

  • From: Ron Economos <w6rz@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 14 Sep 2009 06:11:53 -0700

The Tandberg EN-8100 encoder is a new product. Basically,
they're using Moore's Law to provide extra processing to
the problem of SD MPEG-2 real-time encoding. That is,
this encoder does things in real-time that were previously
only done in the realm of non-real-time off-line encoders.

For example, the MPEG-2 chips that I work on are capable
of three streams of basic SD MPEG-2 encoding per chip.
But you could do just one stream per chip and use the extra
CPU, video DSP and ME cycles to perform some fairly esoteric
algorithms.

This link claims a 15% improvement, which seems reasonable.

http://broadcastengineering.com/hdtv/tandberg-en8100-encoder-0416/

Ron

Craig Birkmaier wrote:

At 1:07 PM -0400 9/10/09, Tom Barry wrote:

MPEG-2 is a mature technology.    I would be surprised if it had a 40%
efficiency improvement left in it.  I guess I don't really believe it.

- Tom

Manfredi, Albert E wrote:

 Since the 16-QAM multiplexes, last I saw, hold 4 to 5 streams, this
 implies that the new MPEG-2 encoder improves video compression by at
 least ~40 percent?

 > That's amazing.

40% relative to WHAT?

There is no information on what encoder was replaced or the number of streams that were in the "old" multiplex. The new encoders most likely are using pre-filtering and statistical multiplexing to achieve most of this gain. For example, if there were five streams sharing 24 Mbps that would be an average of just under 5 Mbps per stream; going to seven streams would reduce the average to about 3.5 Mbps, however, the stat mux efficiency would help considerably.

And 3.5 / 5 = 0.7 or about a 30% improvement. And we are talking about 625/50 source, which encodes more efficiently in the first place. There is NOTHING ground breaking here - just one broadcaster upgrading to a generation of encoders that have been in use for 3-5 years by may operators, especially in the U.S.