[opendtv] Arqiva deploys new Tandberg MPEG-2 technology

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 10 Sep 2009 12:54:46 -0400

Since the 16-QAM multiplexes, last I saw, hold 4 to 5 streams, this
implies that the new MPEG-2 encoder improves video compression by at
least ~40 percent?

That's amazing.

Bert

--------------------------------
http://www.dtg.org.uk/news/news.php?class=countries&subclass=0&id=3524

Arqiva deploys new Tandberg MPEG-2 technology

Links:
www.arqiva.com
www.tandbergtv.com

Arqiva has introduced Tandberg Television's new MPEG-2 video compression
to update its UK DTT transmission infrastructure. The agreement includes
the Tandberg EN8100 MPEG-2 broadcast encoder.

The new Tandberg Television compression system has enabled Arqiva to add
two additional channels per 16QAM multiplex and to achieve an
improvement in picture quality. The system includes compression,
multiplexing and systems management, as well as project integration and
commissioning.

Michael Finchen, Director of Digital Platforms for Arqiva says, "We are
delighted with the performance of the new Tandberg MPEG-2 platform, it
has delivered results beyond our expectations. Tandberg Television's
commitment to MPEG-2, the close relationship we have with their
engineering and commercial teams and the unprecedented performance of
the EN8100 were critical factors in our selection of the company, and
key contributors to the success of this project."

Roger Bolton, EVP of compression systems at Tandberg Television says,
"We have a strategic relationship with Arqiva and are delighted that our
technology is helping them to launch new services and achieve better
quality. There is a great deal of interest in our new MPEG-2 platform
from broadcasters and operators around the world and I am proud that we
continue to lead the compression market with business model enabling
solutions."

DTG Staff 10.09.2009