[opendtv] Re: Apple dashes hopes of Flash on iPhone

  • From: Kon Wilms <konfoo@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 18 Apr 2010 10:56:36 -0700

On Sun, Apr 18, 2010 at 9:55 AM, Tom Barry <trbarry@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Yes, I thought both HTML5 and Flash had support for H264/avc.  If so
> then an automated conversion should be easily possible, without complete
> re-encoding.

Irrelevant since when you ship HTML5 on a browser, the browser
manufacturer is responsible for ensuring that the implementation can
decode AVC (and they become liable for licensing issues). Which is why
the W3C and more importantly browser developers do *not* want any
encumbered codecs to be used for HTML5. You won't find much support
for AVC amongst developers - everyone is hoping for VP8 these days.

>> At 1:42 PM -0700 4/15/10, dan.grimes@xxxxxxxx wrote:
>>> will actually be programmed within the HTML5 language.

HTML5 is not a language.

> Craig Birkmaier wrote:
>> The decoder(s) are plug-ins for Flash.

The decoders are built into flash. There is no 'plugin'.

>> Flash simply provides the framework (shell) for the player and the

Incorrect.

>> There are MANY examples of the HTML5 framework playing h.264 content
>> on the web today. This is the EASY part.

Unfortunately it is not. Which is why Adobe is pushing OSMF.
Progressive streaming is easy, but that is both inefficient and
expensive for the customer (costs) and the viewer (bandwidth).

>> content is the bigger issue with HTML5. It remains to be seen if Apple
>> can be the Pied Piper and lead the web development community away from
>> Flash.

Repeat after me: Apple has no development environment to match Flash.
Microsoft tried this already and failed.

>> By the way, Adobe does not lose if HTML5 wins. They can very easily
>> use their entire authoring infrastructure that is in place for Flash
>> dynamic media content today, to create HTML5 content, just as they
>> have developed the cross compiler to create iPhone and Android apps...

HTML5 is HTML, Canvas and Javascript. Complete antithesis to Adobe's offering.

Your statement makes no sense - it's akin to saying 'Toyota makes
great cars, they should get into the boat-building business since they
both use engines'.

Cheers
Kon