[opendtv] Re: Apple dashes hopes of Flash on iPhone

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 14 Apr 2010 11:29:07 -0400

At 10:28 AM -0400 4/14/10, Tom Barry wrote:
It looks like Flash has been implemented on the iPad anyway (sort of),
by a third party.

<http://mobile.slashdot.org/story/10/04/14/0127225/Flash-Comes-To-the-iPad-Via-RipCode>

I do think Apple is too controlling (and over priced) and I detest flash
as a bloated virus magnet.  So I don't really have a horse in this race.

One can make a strong argument for the fact that Apple exerts the strongest control over its platforms compared to any other vendor in the computing device industry.

One can also make the argument that Apple had led the industry with respect to the adoption of new technologies, and that since Jobs returned in the late '90s the company has been a strong supporter of industry standards, including most of the peripherals that are used on both Macs and PCs.

As a user, I perceive less control than during the era when Jobs was not involved with the company. And my attitude may be tainted a bit by my involvement with the Advanced Technology and QuickTime groups, where I saw most of this coming nearly two decades ago.