[opendtv] Re: Apple dashes hopes of Flash on iPhone

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 14 Apr 2010 09:20:42 -0400

At 10:05 AM -0700 4/13/10, dan.grimes@xxxxxxxx wrote:
I have always appreciated how Apple so tightly controlled the early Macintosh platform and software development. I appreciated it because it created stable operations.

However, it seems, by articles such as this one and others like it, that much of the future limitations are more about control, greed and vendettas than about commerce, performance and consumers. But perhaps I have too little of information to make an accurate assessment.

Much of today's limits with the licensing of applications and development of such seems to be based purely on selfishness and not on good business practices. Does it really help the consumer? Does this really help Apple? Or is this about control?

Lets see.

Apple has created an ecosystem that is supporting billions of dollars in commerce. The music industry is making money; the TV and movie industries are making money; publishers are making money; game developers are making money; and there has been tremendous innovation in the software available for mobile devices.

Contrast this to the walled garden approach to Apps that was the "industry standard" for the telcos before the iPhone. You want video, subscribe to our Flo-based service. You want music, subscribe to our proprietary music service. Games? I think you get the idea.

Yes, you are going to see MANY articles taking Apple to task for anything that appears to be controlling. You are going to see constant attacks by those who are trying to protect decaying ecosystems that are now threatened and ripe for replacement.

The one group that I am not hearing many complaints from are the millions of consumers who are buying Apple hardware so that they can take advantage of the ecosystem that Apple has created.

Apple's customer satisfaction ratings are the best in the industry.

Apparently Apple believes that it is important to establish quality standards for this ecosystem. Developers can either play by their rules, or play somewhere else.

Perhaps what Apple is doing is trying to raise the bar on our expectations...