[opendtv] Re: Apple and walled gardens

  • From: "John Shutt" <shuttj@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 20 Oct 2010 10:24:51 -0400

Gee, time was when there was this thing that was sort of like an album, only smaller. It was made out of the same black vinyl-like material, and could be played back on most black vinyl sound reproducers of the day.

It was called a "45." I think the name had something to do with the larger sized hole in the middle of the black disk. The larger albums had a smaller hole which I believe was called a "33 1/3." This "45" contained just two songs, and cost to less to purchase than an entire album. Many people bought them so they could have just the hit songs they wanted, skipping all of the less popular songs that were included on the "33."

Yes, tongue is firmly planted in cheek.

Record companies have abandoned the CD single because downloading has all but eliminated demand for them.

You make it sound as if Apple invented the concept of buying a single song.

John

----- Original Message ----- From: "Craig Birkmaier" <craig@xxxxxxxxx>

Before Apple created the iPOD and iTunes, the audio CD was the weapon of choice for the music industry. You could either pay ten bucks or more for a new CD to get the one song you wanted, or you could become a pirate.