[opendtv] Re: Apple Introduces New Apple TV Software & Lowers Price to $229

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 16 Jan 2008 10:11:08 -0500

At 11:37 AM -0800 1/15/08, Kon Wilms wrote:
On Jan 15, 2008 11:10 AM, John Golitsis <jgolitsis@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
 None of that's important, Kon....it's from Apple!

Just trying to get the facts in before Craig opens the Apple kool-aid firehose!

Apple just used a garden hose yesterday - the firehose is reserved for next week when they report the best quarter in company history.

Steve did mention that they have sold 4 million iPhones;

And that on Christmas Day they sold they sold 20 million songs - they passed 4 billion total songs last week.

I would think you would be happy to learn that your Apple TV is getting a significant FREE upgrade that will make it a far more useful toy...

And I would think that you would be happy to have heard Steve tell everyone that "nobody has gotten the movie download business right..."

I am very very happy with the new features for my iPhone - and this should just be the beginning as the platform is opened up to third party developers.

As for the MacBook Air - it's an interesting computer, but has little appeal for me, having purchased a MacBook Pro last spring. I found two of the features of 'Air" interesting.

1. Heavy dependence on wireless connectivity - the ability to use the optical drives of another computer in the same proximity is a very interesting alternative to using the external Superdrive option. There is no Ethernet port, although Apple is offering an Ethernet option that plugs into the USB port (no Firewire either).

2. LED backlighting - this is a very interesting trend as it allows the light source to be switched as well as the LCD panel.

Completely unrelated, I have been made aware of a new (actually enhanced) projection TV technology using LEDs as the light source.

The lack of an optical drive may be the most interesting feature; the availability of a smaller capacity flash "disk drive" seems premature at this point, but will make more and more sense as capacities increase and prices come down.

Clearly both Steve and Bill are looking to a future where bits are delivered via networks, not discs.