[opendtv] Re: Apple, Google Seek TV

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 29 Sep 2010 16:59:18 -0500

Craig Birkmaier wrote:

> "'If Google TV and Apple TV have any impact, I believe it will be
> positive, as it may drive more people to traditional television,' said
> Paul Karpowicz, president of Meredith Local Media Group, a division of
> Meredith Corp., which owns a dozen TV stations. 'Instead of sitting at
> a computer, the TV will become the device-of-choice for both TV
> viewing and surfing the Internet. Because the consumer is already
> sitting in front of the TV, they may watch more traditional
> television. Over the years, we've determined that viewers do not want
> TV to be interactive. They prefer to sit back and be entertained,
> instead of engaging in a cooperative activity like Apple TV or Google
> TV,' Karpowicz said."
>
> On one hand Karpowicz tells us that people are going to make the big
> screen "the device-of-choice for both TV viewing and surfing the
> Internet." Then he turns around and contradicts himself in the the
> last sentence.

I don't see the contradiction.

He is saying that even if we might be using the same large display for TV
program viewing and for web browsing, when we watch TV programming, we don't
want interactivity. Which I've suspected to be the case from day 1, when people
kept hyping up "interactivity" as being a byproduct of "digital TV."

So, he is simply keeping the two types of uses of that large display separate.

> It is well known that a significant portion of the time that the TV
> is turned on, the "viewer" is actually using a computer; the TV is
> primarily background noise,

You've mentioned this many times, but I don't see the relevance. For one thing,
in my home, we NEVER do this. And for another, I don't see that it changes
anything. Some people keep the radio on all of the time, some do not. Some use
TV in a similar way as those background radio people use radio.