[opendtv] Re: Another point of view on walled gardens

  • From: "John Shutt" <shuttj@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "OpenDTV" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 4 Feb 2010 17:48:58 -0500

----- Original Message ----- From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>

We would have to go and look at specific dates, John, because we were
using e-commerce from way back, without being impeded by either AOL or
CompuServe.

CompuServe was a well established business serving tens of thousands of
subscribers by 1985.  AOL was created in 1989.  The first Mosaic browser
wasn't released until 1993.

Chicken, meet egg.  CompuServe and AOL predate what we now know today as the
Worldwide Web, and in the case of CompuServe, by over a decade.  By
extension, eCommerce began well before the Worldwide Web began, and it began
on those "walled gardens" AOL and CompuServe, before there was anything to
be walled against.

John