[opendtv] Re: Analysis: Should Apple Buy Hollywood?

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 27 Feb 2012 18:37:13 -0600

Craig Birkmaier wrote:

> NOT SIMILAR AT ALL.
>
> SVHS is still a color under system where the subcarrier signal is
> encoded along with a luminance signal.

By the way, I sort of glossed over this, but I shouldn't have.

In short, no. S-VHS tape players introduced the S-video, or Y/C interface jack.
So that luminance and chrominance were separated. It was actually the first
component analog interface, where the two color components were sent over the
same wires.

That's why prerecorded S-VHS tapes were pretty spectacular, compared with what
we had to suffer through in those days.

The reason I had one was mostly to record OTA NTSC without losing any
significant image quality. With previous VHS, including HQ, recording analog TV
was a real disappointment. It was not easy to get pre-recorded S-VHS at rental
stores, unfortunately.