[opendtv] Re: Analysis Game Changer!

Manfredi, Albert E wrote:
> Tom, if the networks are expecting the ISPs to pay them for the
> privilege of distributing their content, don't you think that the
> networks will be very guard jealously over which ISPs that content will
> be allowed to flow?
>
> Bert

Yes, the networks and studios will continue to assume they have control
over the LEGAL distribution of content.  And the ISP's will decide
whether and how much they are willing to pay for LEGAL distribution of
that content, if it is even offered.

But consumers will also have the option of downloading the ILLEGAL, but
ubiquitous, content that is out there.  For each person that cancels
premium content subscriptions of all kinds and for all reasons there is
still the option of looking for free and unrestricted downloads.  And
for each consumer choosing this option the idea of a cheaper naked pipe
is also the better economic choice.  Thus ISP's without bundled content
rights can still be extremely competitive.

For awhile I think Compuserve, Prodigy, and AOL had a pretty good
dominance of consumer Internet access (electronic info distribution) but
nobody pays much attention to them anymore.  People have naked pipes
and  often don't desire or need  walled gardens.

Again, I think most of the content monopolies were based upon early
distribution monopolies.  I don't think networks and studios can
maintain control of distribution monopolies.  And I hope telcos and
cablecos also are not allowed to.  And local broadcasters no longer have
much choice or bargaining power in this.

- Tom

PS - Totally unrelated: I was part of the Florical Systems (broadcast
automation) layoffs last week.  Anybody know of a good Win/C++ software
developer position for someone like me?  Or should I head on back to my
roots in IBM mainframes?