[opendtv] Re: Analysis: Dethroning King Gillette

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2005 08:53:56 -0500

At 11:28 AM -0800 1/30/05, John Willkie wrote:
>I concede the point on pixels x frames, but how does this translate to
>bandwidth?  Some folks seem to transmit 720 using almost the same bandwidth
>as 1080i, and there have been postings hereabouts that this makes the result
>for 720 better.

I'm sorry if the following was NOT clear.

>  > The major issue is the image processing bandwidth needed to push 2
>>  Mpixels to the screen. Apple is delivering a solution that can handle
>>  greater than 1920 x 1080 @ 60P for the 30 inch Apple Cinema Display;
>>  but this system requires a special dual channel video card using two
>>  DVI connections to get the pixels to the screen. Looks like Apple is
>  > comfortable with 720P resolution for the mini...

The problem has NOTHING to do with the handling of compressed bit
streams (typically in the range of 1 -25 Mbps). The problem comes
AFTER the source has been decompressed, producing uncompressed images
with the pixel clocks I cited. The 30" Apple Cinema Display has two
DVI ports connected to a special graphics card that can pump out the
rough equivalent of 3 Gbps, which is the bit rate for uncompressed
1920 x 1080 @ 60P. (note that DVI uses parallel data lines, not a
serial bus to move the samples).