[opendtv] Re: An inspired rant about the astonishingly loathsome Comcast DVR

  • From: "Albert Manfredi" <bert22306@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 04 Nov 2006 18:12:53 -0500

flyback1 wrote:

I'm currently suffering with dialup and a 108 inch Log antenna high above
my roof while Verizon splices all the fiber together they laid through my
front yard to bring me FIOS.

I actually like the Verizon FiOS scheme, but am having a really hard time confirming my suspicions of how it really works.

If you go through their own FiOS sites, you will find next to no detailed info. But what you will never see, interestingly enough, is any mention of IPTV. You will see mention of "broadcast TV," though.

I think this is a dense-wave-division-multiplexing scheme that emulates cable TV. The TV channels are true DTV broadcasts. The IP service is like DOCSIS. The network itself is a passive optical network, BPON, so that there are no active electronics in neighborhoods.

Fiber goes to the home, and is converted in a big box, typically outside the house, into cable TV coax, cat 5e Internet to an in-home router, and voice telephone service through the standard telephone wires. And just like DSL, the link to your home goes back to the Central Office.

Assuming this is all true, and I think it is, it's actually a neat way to offer TV and Internet over a fiber net. But it's not IPTV, hence no use of IP multicast or IGMP, or any IP overhead in the DTV channels at all, at least not for the regular TV broadcasts.

Stay in touch with old friends and meet new ones with Windows Live Spaces http://clk.atdmt.com/MSN/go/msnnkwsp0070000001msn/direct/01/?href=http://spaces.live.com/spacesapi.aspx?wx_action=create&wx_url=/friends.aspx&mkt=en-us