[opendtv] Re: American sports fans prefer HDTV to stadiums

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 17 Nov 2007 09:03:45 -0500

http://www.dtg.org.uk/news/news.php?class=countries&subclass=0&id=2833

American sports fans prefer HDTV to stadiums

A survey by Motorola has found that nearly half of Americans would
rather watch college or professional American football on a high
definition TV than in person.

The survey of more than 1,000 adults found that 45 percent would rather
watch college or professional American football on a high-definition TV
than watch the game in person. Only one in three respondents indicated
they would rather watch a college or professional American football game
in person.

Hmmmmm......

Several years ago I attended a monthly meeting of a Gator fan club, and listened to a high level exec from the NFL talk about some of their future plans. One of the subjects that came up was HDTV and the view of the NFL about this new technology.

In short this representative said that the NFL was in no rush to move to HDTV, primarily because they were concerned that it could result in fewer people attending the games.

I suspect this position has changed slightly over the ensuing years. If the NFL had its way I suspect they would like to continue to offer FTA SDTV broadcasts, but charge for the HDTV versions of the games.