[opendtv] Re: Advanced Compression Unlikely to Free Up TV Spectrum for Broadband

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 30 Jun 2010 08:35:00 -0400

When I heard it, I thought that the possible help from AVC was just not going to be that significant, for broadcast quality TV images anyway...

So I don't think the argument against AVC is only a matter of installed base, important as that certainly is. Seems to me, it just won't help as much as the hype was suggesting, for SD or HD TV.

Once again, Bert has missed the forest for the trees.

Setos et al were not making a technical argument about the efficiency of AVC, WHICH IS being deployed for IPTV BECAUSE of the efficiency advantage.

They were making a political argument about protecting the castle that they built with ATSC and MPEG-2. You know the castle that is surrounded with moats filled with nasty lawyers and bureaucrats...

It took more than a decade to build the industry and political consensus needed to replace an outdated NTSC system. In the end they managed to replace it with a digital system all wrapped up in protected IP and a government mandate to deploy millions of ATSC/MPEG-2 receivers that are for the most part NOT being used.

It should come as NO SURPRISE, that broadcasters would now use the very limitations of this infrastructure to PROTECT it.

Andy (Setos) is probably being conservative in saying that it would take a decade to replace all of the ATSC receivers that are now in place (and the tens of millions that will be sold in the next few years).

The bottom line, according to broadcasters, is that the FCC proposal would require ANOTHER DTV transition...

How convenient.