[opendtv] Re: Actual HDTV Signal Sources

  • From: Richard Hollandsworth <holl_ands@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 17 Nov 2006 20:27:57 -0800 (PST)

I see that HDTV Magazine recently posted results of an on-line survey of
participating HD users:
  http://www.hdtvmagazine.com/articles/2006/10/fall_2006_hdtv_study_results.php
  Note that the HD signal source usage was reported to be about EQUAL!!!!!

  Since results were Sat (531), On-Air (520), Cable (511) and NoHD (20) among
1112 respondents, there is a LARGE amount of dual (or triple) usage reported.
  This appears to confirm that a lot of OTA DTV users "fill-in" the local HD
channels that are currently missing from SAT (PBS, CW and esp where HD-LIL is
not yet available) and Cable systems (e.g. PBS, CW).....at least until the
"missing" HD channels finally appear on SAT and Cable....

  So maybe by end of next year and into 2008 we'll start to see a glut of OTA
STB'S for sale on eBay....just in time to pre-empt the subsidized SD-Only STB
market....

  holl_ands

Richard Hollandsworth <holl_ands@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
  I've seen FCC (et.al.) statistics re percentages of (US) households who:
1) own "DTVs" (e.g. capable of receiving ATSC),
2) subscribe to digital SAT (HD portion unknown),
3) subscribe to digital Cable (HD portion unknown),
4) subscribe to "other" digital MVPD and
5) depend on OTA (14% includes analog & some DTV) as sole source of signals.

However, I can't recall seeing any statistics re percentage of households
actually USING DTV....and whether it is a supplement to an existing
Cable/Sat/Other MVPD subscription.....

Does anyone have any references to surveys re actual OTA DTV penetration....and
HD penetration for SAT & Cable????

Or guesses re these carefully hidden secrets????

holl_ands

"Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:    Bob Miller wrote:

>> The percentage of OTA TV users in the US is almost
>> positively higher than that of, for example, Germany.

> Households in Germany are at 38 million The penetration
> is 13.2%. We are only talking of OTA digital here.

I specifically said OTA users, analog and digital. In the US, it is
almost certainly higher than in Germany. Numbers greater than 30 percent
as a total, and 15 percent as households depending solely on OTA TV.
That beats the 9 (prior to transition) or 13 percent numbers bandied
about for Germany. Meaning, the potential for DTT users in the US,
should analog be summarily shut off as it was in Germany, is certainly
there.

> IBOC is COFDM. Maybe that has something to do with it.

Let me see if I follow your logic. IBOC sales, and IBOC equipment
availability, were miserable for the past couple of years, when
broadcasters have been transmitting IBOC. According to the Sangean
marketing rep, demand spiked only within the past 2 months. That
coincides with the on-air promotion campaign for IBOC.

And still you find it necessary to believe COFDM is the reason?
Astounding.

> Cable and satellite won't let them [promote DTT]???? BS!!

A broadcaster stated that on this list. I tend to believe him. Sorry.

Bert

Sponsored Link

Mortgage rates near 39yr lows. $420,000 Mortgage for $1,399/mo - Calculate new
house payment