[opendtv] Re: AT&T denies loss of iPhone exclusive would hit earnings

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 13 Aug 2010 06:50:37 -0400

 Do you have any sources to verify your statement that Apple has
 been ordering WCDMA chips?

Unless they roll their own, they have to be buying WCDMA chips in order to be 3G compliant. However, I didn't specify that it had to be from Qualcomm.

Bert

Thanks Bert.

I had to do a bit of research to understand all of this, but you are correct. W-CDMA was primarily developed by European telcos in an attempt to get around Qualcomms CDMA patents. It became the air interface for most 3G systems around the world, while Qualcomm rolled out CDMA-2000 for Verizon and other carriers around the world. A bit confusing as they are not compatible, which was at the root of my misunderstanding.

I was also mistaken that the air interface chip in the new iPhone 4 is from Infineon. Turns out they switched to to the SkyWorks for the W-CDMA chips in the iPhone 4.