[opendtv] Re: AT&T backs Verizon, TMo hesitates on LTE

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 19 Aug 2010 07:22:36 -0400

Which shows how bad the decision would be to grab the 600 MHz spectrum across the board.

Going with what you said above, the better approach should be to use the "TV white space" criteria, not a wholesale spectrum grab. In rural areas, the FCC could simply pack the TV channels down in the lower ranges, as they probably are now anyway, and the higher channels would be "white spaces." Usable for two-way cellular. In urban areas, cell systems use higher frequencies, and the TV stations would continue to have access to the 600 MHz band.

Perhaps this approach could work, although it certainly would not satisfy the craving of the politicians for spectrum auction proceeds.

As I explained yesterday, there is a need - everywhere - for improved QOS with wireless access. The 600-700 MHz bands can help deal with this issue, AND with the growing demand for bits as people move to mobile devices that have larger appetites for bits.

The question I posed yesterday is what will broadcasters do with this spectrum to get people to start using the service again> And can they afford to build out an appropriate infrastructure.

Maintaining the status quo for TV broadcasting sucks just as much as the poor quality of wireless service we are paying for today.

Unfortunately, the public is screwed either way.

 > From the perspective of the politicians, the answer is obvious. The
 Telcos will pay billions for this spectrum,

There is a reason why government and industry are separate entities. There is a reason why it's bad for government to be in the pocket of industry.

No longer. Now the road to running a "competitive" business runs right through your town.