[opendtv] Re: AT&T backs Verizon, TMo hesitates on LTE

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 21 Aug 2010 07:58:10 -0400

Of course that's possible. All you are proposing is a cellco equivalent of disbanding FOTA TV and having everyone subscribe to cable or DBS.

You can expect your cellco bill to go way up for that sort of service, compared to what you are paying now. And also, you can expect the broadcasters to demand a piece of those cellco subscription fees too.

Not at all.

I said the video streams would continue to be in the clear, not paid.

But it might not be free for the broadcasters. Then again, ask Mark, it's not free today!

First you need a big chunk of land for your big expensive tower. Then an expensive high powered transmitter. And then there's the electric bill.

So an equitable approach might require broadcasters to pay a carriage fee to the companies operating the cellular infrastructure - note these are typically not the telcos, but companies they pay to operate and maintain the cells, which often have equipment from multiple carriers.

And remember I also said the government should get paid from operating revenues, not a big up front payment for the spectrum. I guess it all comes down to how greedy the politicans are...