[opendtv] Re: ATSC vs. NTSC reception at a distance

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 6 Jan 2006 17:31:27 -0500

Mark Schubin wrote:

> This story covers a distant-signal reception problem by an
> Alabama cable system when a broadcaster switched from
> analog to digital.

http://www.demopolistimes.com/articles/2006/01/06/news/news01.txt

"'The digital channels won't reach as far, which is why we
couldn't carry FOX-6,' Goldman said. 'But the picture is much
clearer. The only disadvantage is not picking up the
long-range stations out of Birmingham, but we'll get the
Meridian affiliates, which are really our local stations
anyway.'"

Not enough information to see what is going on, but that is
contrary to everything I have read and experienced, and
contrary to what the sensitivity and C/N margin numbers tell
us also.

If the Fox6 analog channel was VHF and the Fox6-DT is low
power UHF, perhaps that explains the difference. And even
there, I seem to get solid reception of low power UHF from
almost 50 miles away, and comparatively much poorer reception
of full power NTSC from the same distance.

I would have to disagree with the notion that somehow NTSC
gets more range, all else being equal.