[opendtv] Re: ATSC experience

  • From: "Albert Manfredi" <bert22306@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 27 Dec 2005 14:06:59 -0500

Tom Barry wrote:

>Glad to hear you are enjoying your Accurian Xmas
>present.  I think I mentioned a few days ago I still
>considered that mostly a winner, at least at that price.

Thanks, Tom.

I rather obsessed over whether my ghosts tended to
be leading or lagging, before hoping for good ATSC
reception, specifically because I am not at all convinced
that the Accurian is anything more than a decent 3rd
gen receiver. I have seen no test results for it, so I'd
hate anyone to assume it was a 4th or 5th gen product
that somehow went unnoticed.

>I'm sure you have mentioned it before, but could
>you again describe your existing antenna situation.

Chimney mounted large log periodic, aimed NE,
additional smaller UHF aimed NNE, omni VHF. We live in
a sort of shallow valley, so downstairs reception with
indoor antenna is not that good.

I tried without the antenna amp yesterday, and got
less signal. I tried the indoor antenna downstairs, but
could not get close to a window with the cable I had
on hand, and got no reception.

The weird thing is, I get some breakup on full power
Balt NBC 11, but strong reception of other Balt
stations including WB 54, which is less than full
power. I'll go search out the current status of these
stations. My info might be obsolete.

I know that analog NBC 11 was grainy, and analog
ABC 2 (also Balt) was usually unwatchable. Now ABC
2 is clear and sharp. And NBC 11 works best when it
rains.

For your info, we are south of the Wash DC area,
toward Mt Vernon, so reasonably far from Balt
transmitters.