[opendtv] Re: ATSC and Lip Sync

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 10 Jun 2009 07:54:28 -0400

At 10:17 AM -0700 6/9/09, dan.grimes@xxxxxxxx wrote:
At 11:04 AM -0400 6/3/09, John Shutt wrote:
And my point is that you, as an individual, decided when to toss the
Powerbook for the MacBook Pro.  You made that decision when it
became too slow or didn't support the newest software you wished to
run. Your old Powerbood certainly doesn't support HD quality video
decoding. at 60 fps.

Craig: "Yup. But you are missing a major point. I did not lose a thing when I upgraded. I added new capabilities while retaining everything I was already doing."

I was forced to go to PC when Apple went to Mac OSX. All my drawings were in Claris Draw Pro which Apple bought and then discontinued support and development. I also used a Mac 3-D CAD program which was also left behind. I had to abandon my drawings and move to AutoCAD which only runs on PC. I started to redraw everything and then quickly gave up. I still have the Mac 9.6 sitting beside my PC for when I need to access those drawings. So perhaps some media is always convertible, but not all types.

Dan

I moved to a drawing program for the Mac called Intaglio, which works much like MacDraw and Claris Draw, but is built upon the graphics services in OS-X.

http://www.purgatorydesign.com/Intaglio/

Intaglio works with yesterday's software and today's.
Intaglio will convert old drawings from ClarisDraw and MacDraw II/Pro to Quartz graphics so you can continue to use your old work. You can also convert PICT images saved by any classic QuickDraw application. Of course Intaglio also supports the popular image formats today including PDF, EPS, SVG, and many bitmap file formats such as JPEG, PNG, and TIFF. You can drag graphics out of Intaglio and drop them directly into most modern applications such as Apple's iWork suite. Because Intaglio also converts modern formats such as PDF and SVG, you can frequently drag another application's graphics into Intaglio for editing and drag the modified graphics back to the original application.

This is one of the most user friendly drawing programs I have ever used, and it is cheap. Almost sufficient justification to switch back to the Mac...

;-)