[opendtv] Re: ATSC and Lip Sync

  • From: "John Shutt" <shuttj@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 3 Jun 2009 11:04:40 -0400

Craig,

----- Original Message ----- From: "Craig Birkmaier" <craig@xxxxxxxxx>

Actually, they all run rather complex multi-channel master control operations that deal with multiple time zones and all kinds of regional ad insertions.

And they run traditional master controls, with traditional automation controlling a traditional master control switcher, separate logo and CG keyers, rolling videotape and server playouts, all controlled by a traditional traffic software system.

The dreaded "legacy operation model."

Internet television is very often a real-time experience. It is the only way I can access some live sports content that is not available via my local cable system.

And even more often, if that content is available on your local cable system is unavailable online at all.

As for being a niche experience, we disagree. There is nothing "niche" about watching a broadcast network show via the Internet - this is just another way to time shift the viewing of that content, and it still contributes to building the overall audience for the program. The cable guys have know that accumulating an audience works for years - you DON'T have to get everyone to sit down at 8:30 on Tuesday night to watch "Happy Days," or wait for the re-run 6 months later.

You cannot have 20 million simultaneous US web viewers of a live Super Bowl program in High Definition.

If nothing else, the local ISPs would choke on the traffic.

This seems to be the part you don't get. It is the notion that any network, or broadcaster who schedules syndicated programming in specific time slots, can get consumers to SCHEDULE their viewing time that is DYING. At best, the TIME & CHANNEL model of broadcasting is like putting a trot line across a river, then coming back in a day or two to see if you caught any fish passing by.

The part I get is that content is still paid for by cable or network broadcasters for first run viewing on their networks, paid for with real time ads. The Hulu and other online viewing options are in addition to, not instead of, their original broadcast. This makes online viewing secondary to broadcast viewing, just as DVD distribution is secondary to broadcast.

You want proof? Name a television series starring well known Hollywood talent that runs exclusively on the internet, and has at least a 13 episode run.

Now do the same for broadcast.  Which list is longer?

Internet viewing is at best a supplemental viewing option, not a primary one, for the majority of eyeballs. There are those for who internet viewing is their primary viewing option, but the numbers are overwhelmingly skewed to the broadcast delivery method.

Craig, tell me what Apple computer and OS you were using in 1999. Can you use it today to run the latest QuickTime application?

In 1999 I was using a Powerbook with a 400 MHz G3 processor. It was running Mac OS-9. I later updated it to run OSX. The latest version of OSX (Leopard) no longer supports the G3 processor. But you can still run the latest version of QuickTime on that G3 Powerbook under OS-10.4.10.

I have since updated to a Dual Core MacBook Pro. The major difference with QuickTime is performance - specifically the ability to decode HD files in real time.

And my point is that you, as an individual, decided when to toss the Powerbook for the MacBook Pro. You made that decision when it became too slow or didn't support the newest software you wished to run. Your old Powerbood certainly doesn't support HD quality video decoding. at 60 fps.

You cannot use that same model for mass media communications. It's one thing when people update their equipment at their own pace, based on their own needs and means. It's quite another when every single audience member has to update at the same time in order to continue to receive content. As the glaring example, I give you the OTA digital transition fiasco. Can you imagine how much worse it would be if every cable and DBS subscriber were equally affected on the same cutoff date?

That is in essence what you proposed in 1999, and what you advocate today. Any smartbox designed in 1999 would not be viable in 2009. Any smartbox designed in 2009 won't be viable in 2019.

What television were you using in 1999?

A Hitachi 4:3 analog tube RPTV with 1080i capability, no ATSC tuner.

This was upgraded to a Samsung 50" 720P DLP RPTV, no ATSC tuner, which is now connected to an Scientific Atlanta HD DVR box from the cable company. On occasion I hook up my MacBook Pro via a DVI cable to watch movies from the iTunes store.

And I will wager that you can still watch programs on your Hitachi in 2019, barring any internal component failures.

John