[opendtv] Re: ATSC and Lip Sync

  • From: Cliff Benham <flyback1@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 01 Jun 2009 10:12:17 -0400

Craig Birkmaier wrote:
At 11:17 AM -0400 5/31/09, Cliff Benham wrote:
Craig Birkmaier wrote:

So in conclusion, I must ask Cliff, why he thinks it is the responsibility of the FCC to guarantee things work?

So the public can still have a reasonable expectation that any TV set they buy will actually work.
Do you think we don't need an FDA to guarantee us safe peanut butter?

They do work. Some better than others, but they seem to work as well as many other things we buy. Should the government force Microsoft and the PC makers to make products that work/
Yes. That's why there are 'Lemon Laws' for cars.

And then there is the minor little issue that the government does little to nothing to actually protect us. Did the FDA keep salmonella tainted peanut butter off the market?
Yes, as soon as they knew about it. The FDA also banned Avandia, a diabetes medication that caused heart attacks.

Obviously we have a brain dead digital broadcast system because the brain dead FCC rubber stamped a standard created by a handful of industry insiders with one goal in mind:

To produce $ billions in ongoing royalty streams for technologies that should have been in the public domain that are now hopelessly dated.

$ame question, different department:
Why are the same people who caused the current financial crisis in charge of fixing it? Isn't that the way it works here in the U$?

It ha$ alway$ been and will alway$ be about the money.

You've got that right.

The worst part is that these special interests use the power of government to make money, when they know that the Free mArket would not support their goals!

Where is the balance between gov't oversight and free market enterprise?
The last boss I worked for had a favorite saying:
"That which is not strictly forbidden is mandatory."

Regards,
~the idealistic Cliff whose favorite TV production maxim is:
"Strive for Perfection, Achieve Mediocrity!" [Fred Leslie Smith]