[opendtv] Re: ATI equivalent to 5th gen LG?

  • From: "Dale Kelly" <dalekelly@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 10 Dec 2004 12:24:33 -0800

John wrote:
> The problem with the ATSC guidelines is that it is very difficult to put
> into words the reception behavior of the Zenith 5th gen chips.  As Justice
> Stewart said of obscenity; "I can't define it, but I know it when I see
> it."
> The same for any chipset that works "properly."

No disagreement here, the ATSC document is simply a guideline offering
certain minimum performance suggestions deemed to be helpful for designing a
DTV receiver. It makes no attempt to specify how that task could or should
be done. In the case of multipath performance it offers a number of field
captures for use in developing /testing equalizers, if one chooses to
utilize them. A wide variety of receiver designs ,with widely varying
degrees of performance, could be compliant(wrong word).
The problem that ATI point out is that there is no way for a consumer to
know that a receiver even meets this very minimal performance guideline.