[opendtv] Re: A multifunction DTV tuner and LCD panels lit by LEDs

  • From: jeroen.stessen@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 28 Sep 2004 16:22:53 +0200

Hi,

John Willkie asked me:
> How will Moore's law (not the electronics learning curve that it is built
> upon, but with a much less pronounced effect) affect the cost of
LumiLEDs?

I was just extrapolating the increase in efficiency that has
happened over the last few years. We are now at a stage that
the cost per Watt of electrical power is about equal to
fluorescent tubes. But the lumen per Watt figure is still
almost a factor 2 lower. This figure has made good progress
over the last years, so if it continues to do so then soon
the break-even point with fluorescent tubes will be reached.
The cost per LED (or per Watt) may not go down anymore, but
we will need fewer LEDs to achieve the required light output.

Greetings,
-- Jeroen.
|-----------------------------+---------------------------------------|
| From:     Jeroen H. Stessen | E-mail:   Jeroen.Stessen@xxxxxxxxxxx  |
| Building: SFJ-5.22 Eindhoven| Philips Digital Systems Laboratories  |
| Phone:    ++31.40.27.32739  | Visiting & mail address: Glaslaan 2   |
| Fax:      ++31.40.27.32572  | NL 5616 LW Eindhoven, the Netherlands |
| Pager:    ++31.6.6513.3818  | Visit us: http://www.pdsl.philips.com/|