[opendtv] Re: A bit OT: 24 Frames Drop Frame Timecode

  • From: "John Shutt" <shuttj@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 30 Nov 2007 16:07:19 -0500

John,

You described drop frame time code only for 29.97 fps.

With 29.97 drop frame time code you need to drop 18 frames every ten minutes. So you drop two frames every minute except for every tenth minute. However, 29.97 is really 30/1.001, so you really needed to drop 17.982 frames every ten minutes, and in a 24 hour period you're still off of real time by 2.59 frames. Acceptable for editing, and you jam sync once per day if you have to maintain real time over several days.

With 24/1.001 fps, you have to drop 14.3856144 frames every ten minutes in order to stay current with real time. That's a much harder thing to do.

I came up with "Drop one frame every odd minute, drop two frames every even minute, except drop only one frame every odd ten minutes, except drop only one frame every odd hour."

That keeps you aligned with real time for the first 2 1/2 hours, but you are off by one frame at 3 hours 20 minutes. In a 24 hour period you are away from real time by 4.472 frames.

Russ' solution is pretty much the same thing with the one frame every odd minute and 2 frames every even minute, but he add in additional times to make up for the gradual drift in "my" simplified solution.

I think that my simplified solution would be easier for a human to remember and calculate for editing purposes, but Russ' solution stays with real time much more closely.

Sounds like a great paper to write for SMPTE, because I don't think there are any standards for drop frame time code in 23.976 fps. The Sony HDCam manual says you must use non-drop frame when shooting 23.976.

John S.

----- Original Message ----- From: "John Willkie" <johnwillkie@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>