[opendtv] Re: A Station Group with a Future

Bob Miller wrote:

> The next change of Earth polarity could get stalled in
> neutral for a couple of million years while we all watch
> Auroras at all latitudes and the Solar wind blows our
> atmosphere away.

I don't think anyone has suggested that anything we do causes, or could
avoid, a magnetic pole shift, Bob. And these shifts apparently occur at
wildly different intervals, as close as 10s of thousands of years apart
to as far apart as a million years apart. And they take varying amounts
of time to complete, as far as we know now.

So if life has survived them in the past, chances are it will do so
again. Although, of course, maybe not life as we know it now. Scary
stuff, but again, no one is saying we can do diddly about it.

If the last shift occurred 780,000 years ago, as apparently is the case,
mammals already existed, even homo erectus already existed. They muddled
through somehow.

Apparently, it is the lack of magnetic poles that turned Mars into the
barren planet it is.

Another point. The shifting poles do not mean that there will be no
magnetic field at all. What seems to happen is that the magnetic field
changes in different locations, shifting around, reorienting itself. In
some specific locations, it may disappear entirely for a time. And then
eventually it is mostly all reoriented. I'm not sure what this means to
us, but there are already now places where the magnetic field is screwy.
My optmistic hope is that the reorienting fields will still protect us,
even if they do not all line up nicely, as long as these fields exist.