[opendtv] Re: A Station Group with a Future

  • From: Tom Barry <trbarry@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 03 Feb 2007 13:54:14 -0500

John Shutt wrote:
There are lies, damn lies, and statistics.

And also paid-for lies, damn lies, and statistics.

From yesterday's Slashdot article: <http://politics.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=07/02/02/1511229>

Scientists Offered Cash to Dispute Climate Study

"According to an article in the Guardian <http://www.guardian.co.uk/frontpage/story/0,,2004399,00.html>, scientists and economists have been offered large bribes by a lobbying group funded by ExxonMobil. The offers were extended by the American Enterprise Institute group, which apparently has numerous ties to the Bush administration. Couched in terms of an offer to write 'dissenting papers' against the findings of the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change, several scientists contacted for the article refused the offers on conflict of interest grounds."

- Tom

There are lies, damn lies, and statistics.

http://www.clearlight.com/~mhieb/WVFossils/greenhouse_data.html

John

P.S., after seeing Al Gore's An Inconvenient Truth, I haven't tried to dispute all of his PowerPoint slides, but the one where it says the US can't sell cars in China flies in the face of the facts. Makes me wonder what else he got wrong.

Excerpt from link above:

Just how much of the "Greenhouse Effect" is caused by human activity?

It is about 0.28%, if water vapor is taken into account-- about 5.53%, if not.

This point is so crucial to the debate over global warming that how water vapor is or isn't factored into an analysis of Earth's greenhouse gases makes the difference between describing a significant human contribution to the greenhouse effect, or a negligible one.

Water vapor constitutes Earth's most significant greenhouse gas, accounting for about 95% of Earth's greenhouse effect (4). Interestingly, many "facts and figures' regarding global warming completely ignore the powerful effects of water vapor in the greenhouse system, carelessly (perhaps, deliberately) overstating human impacts as much as 20-fold.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Tom Barry" <trbarry@xxxxxxxxxxx>

I don't know if we are causing global warming or not, but it seems likely. And there have been recent new reports of attempts to hire scientists to dispute the findings that we are. To me this is more evidence we have problems and should start to take it seriously.

- Tom

Tom Barry                       trbarry@xxxxxxxxxxx
Find my resume and video filters at www.trbarry.com