[opendtv] Re: A Station Group with a Future

Bob Miller wrote:

> Whether or not humans have had any affect on the climate
> so far we should be doing everything we can to be able
> to do so in the future since it looks like change is
> inevitable.

In the mid 1970s, the word was we were moving back to an ice age. More
recently, everyone seems to agree we are in a warming period, and that
these occur on a regular cycle of several 100s of thoussands of years.
And after the peak, you start heading back to an ice age.

In the past decade or so, the general consensus among those who study
these things was that for sure we were in a warming trend, but it was
unknown whether humans had a very significant effect on this.

The latest twist in this past week, maybe caused by reporters not
interpreting correctly what they are being told (why does that sound
familiar?), is that human-caused CO2 emissions that are the biggest
contributor to global warming. And that it will keep getting warmer.

http://www.wtop.com/?nid=220&sid=1048620

A model presented at a symposium I attended recently showed ocean
salinity decreasing somewhat with melting ice at the poles, reducing the
strength of the gulf stream and other such currents, which is what
eventually turns the warming trend around.

Whatever the truth might be, there is enough here to worry about that
there should be no excuse for self-indulgent wanton waste, IMO. When
Exxon-Mobile reports record profits, people seem to be miffed because
supposedly they are "paying too much for fuel." But when I look around
on the road, seems to me they still aren't paying enough.