[opendtv] Re: A $30 Cable and an iPad on a Television

  • From: "Richard C. Ramsden" <ramsden@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 20 Apr 2010 00:15:18 -0400

I've tried VERY HARD to find a 1080p HDMI apple option, that the audio actually works.

Apple sux.

On 4/19/2010 9:52 PM, Monty Solomon wrote:
A $30 Cable and an iPad on a Television

By NICK BILTON
APRIL 16, 2010

Last year in an effort to cancel my Time Warner cable, I bought an
Apple TV. I came home with my new fancy sleek white packaging, tore
open the box and plugged the Apple TV into my television. It took
about 15 minutes before I went from excited to utterly frustrated.

The problem with the Apple TV is its extreme restrictions. Sure, it
allows you to buy or rent iTunes video and to play YouTube content on
your TV. It also enables music streaming from a home computer or
Internet radio and photo viewing from Flickr or MobileMe. But its
features come to a screeching halt right there. And it costs $230.

If you want a bittersweet alternative, a $30 cable and an iPad can do
everything the Apple TV can, and more. But, be warned, it's confusing
and also a little frustrating to set up.

First, this isn't a solution for anyone wishing to completely cancel
their cable TV and there are plenty of limitations with the iPad
video output too. But if you're already planning to buy an iPad, you
won't be forced to buy a completely separate device to watch some
online video on your television.

http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/04/16/a-30-cable-and-an-ipad-on-a-television/