[opendtv] Re: 8VSB Still Not Working

  • From: Kon Wilms <kon@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 05 Jan 2005 22:51:38 -0800

On Thu, 2005-01-06 at 00:44 -0500, Stephen W. Long wrote:
> Fox via SDTV satellite, no OTA HDTV for me.  I know why the reception is so
> bad - a one story hill behind my house causes a large standing reflection,
> which we noted long ago when my house was one of the ATSC DC test sites.
> 8VSB does not work for me, never has, never will.  I also can not receive
> the local digital UPN station.  The signal strength swings from 0 to 80+
> every couple of seconds, which never gives the decoder a chance to lock up
> and display a signal.  So back to DirecTV for UPN at my house, no HDTV Star
> Trek Enterprise for me.

I have a 1 story hill behind my house too. My UHF antenna is a $23 radio
shack special, and is half way up the side of my house, not even close
to the roof. It has no line of sight to even the 3rd house down the
street from me, and it points over the swimming pool next door to me. I
have no problems receiving Fox. Oh, the transmitter is 49 miles away,
through the LA smogpile.

Cheers
Kon