[opendtv] Re: 8VSB Patents running out?

  • From: "John Willkie" <johnwillkie@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 14 Apr 2007 13:13:35 -0700

Or, another way of asking it is "just what are the reasons for supporting
E-VSB?"

What are the business or technical arguments for providing an enhanced
service that, while arguably being more robust than 8-VSB, the video was not
to exceed the size of the assosicated main video service?

Just putting it that way makes it sound anti-competitive.

And, I could talk about the "evil empire" concepts behind the recent
Harris/LG announcement on MPH.  Maybe it keeps Harris selling Triveni
Digital PSIP generators that routinely malfunction.

I support it in PSIP, but I've yet to hear a hint of interest in it on the
customer side.

By the way, I remember posting to this list in 2001 or so that Zenith/LG was
likely to do suits on 8-VSB around 2007 or so.

A 'little birdie" who 'worked' for a competing Asia-based company had clued
me into the concept: wait until 8-VSB was far along and embedded.

John Willkie, all said without violating a single NDA.