[opendtv] Re: 70th Anniversary Presentation of the Wizard of Oz

  • From: Cliff Benham <flyback1@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Pete Deksnis <pldexnis@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 24 Sep 2009 13:34:57 -0400

I think Hollywood was right in the 1940s when they tried to maintain control of the theaters by owning them to assure high quality projection and sound. Last night's show is a perfect example of why they should.

Alo there are two additional 'showings' of the film in the next months:
Netflix will stream (for free) the Wizard on October 3rd. This the the restored HI-DEF version. Editorial Comment: We'll see.

The Delaware Symphony will present a live performance at the Wilmington Opera House in January in which the film will play with dialogue and sound effects only and the music will be played live by the orchestra. This could be a very nice performance. I bet the conductor will be wearing a headset!

Pete Deksnis wrote:
Thanks for the review Cliff. I also saw the 'film' yesterday and wrote these comments before seeing yours. Briefly, I did not have a brightness issue, and I did like the sound, although I overlooked Margret Hamilton's raucous scream reproduction. Yes, the color was a disappointment; I suspect it was done on purpose to look modern and not at all like the original. Here's my brief take on the experience: Just got back from the theater, which was digital and sold out. Strange, they were projecting Dish NetworkHD logos and later a menu screen with Oz highlighted/selected. Not familiar with digital theater at all and so I wonder if the 'film' is delivered via sat? The movie itself had two appreciated dimensions and one disappointment. [1] Resolution was so good that the nuance of facial expressions became a new and integral element of watching the movie. It's something that doesn't happen with a DVD/15GP22 viewing. Texture of props and sets was at times so accurate that they became 'props' and not, for example, lush foliage in munchkin land (not a negative for me though). And yes, one could see the acne on Dorthy's face; it happened in the scenes when she first met the Scarecrow. I never noticed it again however. I wonder if there is a story behind it. [2] Sound. Normally, I prefer to watch vintage movies with the original mono track. However, somebody did a wonderful job mixing multiple tracks from the mono. _Dialog_ clarity was Excellent. Once during the twister sequence, I suspected that, perhaps, new recordings were used, but maybe not? Could be just modern, digital-processing magic. [3] The color went along with the improved 'modern-looking' resolution in that it was perfect, modern, accurate color. But it wasn't glorious. It wasn't Technicolor. It was bland. Munchkin costumes were bland. The red-with-yellow-highlights apples on the animated apple tree were bland and without luster (they are wonderfully red and shinny on a 15GP22). They did not 'stand out' in the theater presentation. Besides the apples, my other two standards for Oz color are (a) the red smoke that masks Margret Hamilton's elevator trip to munchkin land and (b) stage makeup. The smoke was without impact; it was red smoke just as the apple was red. Nothing to gawk at. Ditto Dorthy's lips. Bland red. Made to emulate 'modern' red lipstick perhaps? I guess. But it wasn't Technicolor stage makeup. Thank goodness for the 15GP22. Pete

    -------------- Original message from Cliff Benham
    <flyback1@xxxxxxxxxxx>: --------------

> [...]
    program.

     > The actual screen brightness looked as though the video level of
    peak
     > whites was no higher than 80 IRE.
     >
     > The sound was very loud and had horrible high frequency peaks in
    the 3-4
     > kilohertz range. An additional problem I noticed was that severe
     > overmodulation of the original Western Electric optical
    soundtrack was
     > perhaps made even more noticeable by the sound restoration
    process at
     > several points during the evening.
     >
     > One would think that by now digital techniques could have been
    used to
     > remove those points of overmod particularly when the witch laughs or
     > screams, but they are there and annoyingly enhanced by the
    theater sound
     > system. At times the sound was actually painful.
     >
     > I was also surprised at the skin color of Dorothy and Glynda. In
    this
     > presentation, they were both shown with very light, fair skin, with
     > little color in their faces. However, Dorothy's hair was a a very
    deep
     > red, deeper than in any version of this film I've watched before.
     >
     > The combination of these extremes in hair color and facial tones
    along
     > with the lack of a 'bright' image on the screen is surprising
    given the
     > historic nature of this presentation. I really expected better.
     >
     > I also wonder about the technical projection capabilities of the
    theater
     > in which the film played tonight.
     >
     > Before the actual film and it's introduction [with Robert Osborne
    and
     > Angela Lansbery] there were PSAs for about 10 minutes promoting the
     > theater chain.
     >
     > These promotional pieces were rather dull looking and I thought
    while
     > they were playing that 'surely when the main presentation begins the
     > brightness will suddenly increase and the image will become crisp
    and
     > clean.'
     >
     > Sadly no. I saw no difference between the video quality of the promo
     > pieces and the main feature. It was all dull looking and dim.
     >
     > Certainly not like a Technicolor imbibition print of this new
     > restoration would have looked.
     >
     > Finally, at the conclusion, on my way out of the theater, the screen
     > suddenly lit up with a Windows desktop!
     >
     > And, the houselights never came back up. People were stumbling
    around in
     > the dark trying to leave the theater.
     >
     > I give the theater a D for production quality.
     >
     > I don't know how the evening went in other theaters across the
    country
     > tonight but for me it was quite dissatisfying.
     >
     > I will buy the Blu-Ray DVD when it becomes available on the 29th.
    I'm