[opendtv] Re: 70th Anniversary Blu-ray and standard DVDs of the Wizard of Oz

  • From: Cliff Benham <flyback1@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 06 Oct 2009 14:25:57 -0400

A friend who has worked professionally in the video and broadcast business for many years sent the following comment to me about HDTV:

"The 'wide screen' situation is quite the mess. Aspect ratios are all over the place, and the hardware has all different ways of contending with it. This always pissed me off when I was working in the industry. I saw no reason why the hardware could not be made smart enough to detect what was connected and what was playing, and properly display the correct image, with the user able to override this if desired of course.

I was appalled at studios I would visit in LA and New York where you would immediately see circles that looked like ovals on monitors, and no one seemed overly concerned. This is when I really started loosing my enthusiasm for what the promise of HD had become. To me, this was a HUGE step backwards when a television from 1939 would still produce a correct image without any user intervention but a modern 'smart' set displayed a distorted image or took an engineering degree to setup properly."

Manfredi, Albert E wrote:
This is disturbing, Jeroen. I would rather crop the 4:3 frame some,
to make it look wider, that be forced to watch all 4:3 content distorted!
4:3 is still quite common in non-prime-time.