[opendtv] Re: 70th Anniversary Blu-ray and standard DVDs of the Wizard of Oz

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 2 Oct 2009 18:55:14 -0500

Jeroen Stessen wrote:

>> Not *supposed* to exist? They do exist. What reality does
>> Philips operate under?
>
> I'm not talking about computer displays or HT projectors
> made from obsolete parts (i.e. 4:3 picture tubes or LCDs).
> I am talking about displays dedicated to HDTV. I have never
> seen one that was 4:3.

Believe it or not, Jeroen, they have existed.

Craig's first HDTV was (famously) a 4:3 HDTV monitor, for example.

And worse than that, perhaps the first HDTV STB available here for a reasonable
price was the RCA DTC-100, for $589 or so initially. 1st gen receiver. But the
only way I could buy one, when I tried, was mated to a huge, heavy, ugly, RCA
4:3 CRT HDTV monitor. Maybe 35" diagonal, super deep, hernia-inducing
monstrosity.

That's when I asked the salesman why I couldn't buy the STB alone, and by the
way, don't you guys know that HDTV is meant for 16:9 displays??

Needless to say, I passed on their "can't miss" offer. But that experience
started me wondering just what kind of racket this HDTV business is going to
become. And I've been asking myself ever since.